Saturday 28 May 2016

Repurposing old jeans



Sometimes we want something that isn’t available anywhere, so how do we get that. The answer is simple – make it yourself. But what if you have never made anything yourself? So it’s time to learn then.
I purchased linen trousers sometime ago but unfortunately fabric wasn’t of the best quality.  I wore them once and the fabric next to back seam has split. I mended it and it’s split again. I was so upset, new trousers absolutely impossible to wear and I feel sorry to bin them.
I was thinking what could I do with them, probably repurpose somehow. Then I decided to turn them into a skirt. 
We all have seen those skirts made from trousers and I don’t like that "trouskirt" idea. So I came up with proper skirt idea, and to make it more "skity" I decided to add some lace to it.
It was difficult to find lace that would match the style of skirt and a fabric  and would be of necessary width and pattern. So I decided to make one.

I started from cutting off the legs and uraveling all the seams

 
 Ironed on all the pieces and folded along the lengh

 Placed all 4 folded pieces on top pf each other and marked the centre


 Cut them in half to make 8 panels
 Measured hips and devided to 8 + 2cm seam allowance, in my case it is 18cm (top of the panel)

 Bottom of the panel made as wide as fabric permitted
 cuted first panel and used it as a guide to cut the restof the panels

 That was my mistake when unraveled the seams i was rushing and cut into fabric, so be careful not to repeat my mistakes. I mended the cut with zigzag or it can be covered with some applique
 Placed panel guide on to second piece  and cuted accordingly
 Did so for the rest of the panels
 Now it's time to sew panels into skirt. I used serger to assemble the panels, but zigzag will do too

 Next step was attaching the panels to the skirt top
 Tip: for plus size skirts you can see the fron part is shorter than the bottom, do not worry, after the skirt is finished this will look even, not like majority of hight street skirts are shorter at the back.
Here we go, skirt is ready and it can go like this, but I wanted to make it prettier so decided to add lace.
I left the hem just overlocked, but here many options available:, heming, adding lace or ribbons, ect
 Then I crocheted lase and attached it to the joining seam of the top and panels



























Here we go. My skirt is ready




My new skirt

    







I am happy with my new skirt and got the bug for it, so next one followed immediately

Same technology, Old jeans, some lace, ribbons...

Cut the top off and unravel leg seams. Ironing is crusial to make panels straight.



 Fold the pieces in half and cut




 



 Then measure hips and devide into 8 + seam allowance


Cut the panels 




Sew the panels same way and attach to the top of the skirt






 Add lace ot ribbons ect to your liking





No comments:

Post a Comment